Sunday, October 15, 2017

Working Backwards

Dear Fernando,





We don’t write letters anymore.

We (you & I) never did.

That we


is a tinder baby 

who has graduated 

to 

whatsapp 

facebook 

facetime

and 

instagram.

But what I mean by “we” 
(don’t write letters anymore) 
is the “we” who are the molecules 
that make up a society. 

This “we” 
doesn’t handwrite letters anymore 
or rarely if at all. 

We text or email 
and we get shit done. 
Short snippets of meaning 
and numbers 
and keys tapping
 into the oblivion 
of a news feed.




...















 But there is something 
intrinsically romantic 
about a handwritten letter 
as the volumes 
of love letters 
from famous pasts 
stacked high in dusty libraries 
will attest.
















And so I write.

To you

This letter

But

This is not 

a love letter.






It couldn’t possibly be.

















For I am not suffering.









I certainly don’t have cholera.









Or Ebola.

Or Zika.









Which is good.









Both of which, however, have similar symptoms to love. 

Nausea

being the most prominent 

shortness of breath another 
increased heart rate, 
loss of appetite, 
loss of fluids 
and 
rapid 
weight 
loss 
another, 

and 

a fever 

which causes 

hallucinations 

of the most whimsical and unrealistic in nature.












And so this? 
We? 
You and me? 








This can’t be love.










It is possible 
however 
that I am on drugs  
as I am presenting 
very clear signs 
of this disease: 
clarity of thoughts 
awakened vision, 
an overblown sense of strength and empowerment, 

sustained energy 

and 

an interest 
and 
a craving 

for continued use 


So I think it is obvious


I must be addicted to cocaine 


despite years of not having used the drug.






It’s the only obvious answer.






Because I have been in love before

  
so 


I know 


it feels 
a little more 
like 
dying.












And this does not.




If. 




Let’s say 




as a hypothetical scenario




 IF 




I was to be so bold 
as to pretend 
for a moment 
that perhaps 
I could maybe 

be 

in 

love 




language


would collapse in on itself 


and 


I would be left 
with the ash 
of words 
upon my hands.














This can’t be love 







because 






compromise 

sacrifice 

and 

tolerance 



no longer guard the path

that leads to  

"relationship". 



Desire 

joy 

and 

wholeness 



instead light the way.













THEY’RE NOT EVEN FUCKING ANTONYMS FOR THE FORMER SET OF WORDS!!!

















It’s not even a tension of opposites.

It’s a whole new ball game 

and

I know 

nothing 


of baseball.







This can’t be love









 because 









that would









BLOW MY TINY BRAIN APART












It would turn my world upside down. 





And this foray into cliché should feel terrifying!





But instead it feels like I want to put my PJs on and read a book beside you.












Because being with you 

feels like a sigh of relief 

and 
I have never fit 
so comfortably 
in someone’s arms 
that I fall asleep 
easily 
and 
do not wake 
till morning. 

And I have never 
felt 
so open 
and 
willing 
to being whacked 
on the head 
with 
care 
and 
affection.




And I have never not fantasised about a future 


because 


the present 


feels 


rather 


fitting and fine.




(We = you & me)






Love, 

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment